Defensive driving is about being smart at the wheel and making good decisions to protect you and those around you. However, even the best drivers can sometimes be injured by chance occurrences or the malicious acts of others. If you are thinking of: A personal Injury Lawyer in Deer Park NY, Mandler & Sieger can help sort out your claim today.
What Is Defensive Driving?
Defensive driving is loosely defined as driving while remaining vigilant—specifically, a vigilant driver of all hazards or other drivers. Sometimes defensive driving is hampered by the actions of others who drive erratically. Even so, defensive driving by many can prevent accidents for all who drive a car.
Common Defensive Driving Steps:
- Put Safety First – A driver should always prioritize the safety of themselves and others. Never attempt anything brash while driving, never drive under the influence of drugs or alcohol, and take a break if you’re tired. Safety also means checking the state of your vehicle to ensure that it is driveable. Fix minor issues such as brake lights being out, or seek a mechanic for larger issues you cannot fix alone.
- Be Aware Of Your Surroundings – A driver should always be aware of his or her surroundings. That means being aware of what lies on all sides of your vehicle and sudden changes. For example, drivers must be aware of road closures and speeding motorists. If an accident occurs and you think: Personal Injury Lawyer in Deer Park NY, Mandler & Sieger can help. It is also always a good rule of thumb to be aware of your surroundings pertaining to exits. Swerving to exit a highway at your preferred exit is never a good idea. Using a GPS or the GPS app on your phone can help mitigate this problem.
- Do Not Depend On Other Drivers – Drivers cannot be relied on to stop. It is safest to stop first, not rely on the other driver, to avoid accidents. Mild accidents resulting from this occur at all-way stop signs when drivers do not rely on themselves to stop. Similarly, alert drivers of the car you are in of potentially inconsiderate drivers. They might not see something you do.
- Follow The Three to Four Second Rule – Wait three to four seconds before turning or crossing an intersection. This can allow you to spot sudden hazards, such as a drunk driver, and might even save your life. The four-second rule should always be made, not just when it’s dark or raining outside. Likewise, do not assume other drivers are using this rule: always be aware of your surroundings.
Contact Mandler & Sieger A Personal Injury Lawyer in Deer Park NY
- Do Not Speed – Always maintain the speed limit while driving. Typically, it is accepted to go ten miles per hour under or over the speed limit on the highway. However, realistically, the speed limit is there for your protection. Speeding puts your life and the lives of others at risk for a deadly motor vehicle collision. Also, it’s a significant crime to speed with children in the car.
- Have An Escape Route – Always know how to get home, or simply away, when things go awry. This can mean the difference between life and death in a road rage incident. An escape route should realistically be a route you know is safe. That can be a quick way home or the authorities. If a road rage incident does occur, make sure to call 911.
- Separate Risks – Always make sure to separate risks when driving. Some pose a greater risk than others, such as the sun’s glare. Whatever your distractions may be, limit them entirely to prevent an accident. If this occurs, and you think: personal injury lawyer in Deer Park Ny, contact Mandler & Sieger today.
- Cut Out Distractions – Distracted driving is never a good thing. Make sure to limit distractions entirely. If driving demands attention, go as far as shutting off the radio.
Contact Our Personal Injury Lawyer in Deer Park NY, Today!
Defensive driving might seem like a cliche word to mean driving safely. In actuality, defensive driving means driving safely with the above checklist. Always make sure to follow it to prevent accidents. However, if one occurs, contact us if you think: personal injury lawyer in Deer Park NY, at Mandler & Sieger. We can assist you in solving your problems.