As we all know, there are numerous ways we can all get hurt from a work mishap to an unfortunate situation. These injuries can often leave people in the hospital for days or weeks, leaving them with a large hospital bill. These mishaps can also lead to many being terminated from their job since they can not work, leaving them with a large hospital bill and no means of paying it back. Our melville personal injury lawyers are here to help you! Personal injury is an injury inflicted on someone’s body as opposed to property. Personal injuries in New York are but are not limited to:
- Vehicle accident
- Workplace accident
- Accident involving slip and falls
- Construction site injuries
- Injuries due to medical negligence
- Bicycle or pedestrian accidents in the New York
- Dog bites
- Battery or assault
All these forms of injuries are under the personal injury umbrella. Furthermore, we are mindful that new terms can fall under the guise of personal injury.
Personal Injury Law
Like most laws in the United States, many states have their way and interpretation, and personal injury law is no different. Personal Injury Laws differ from state to state. But for our sake, we will focus on New York Personal injury law.
Dog Bite laws:
A dog bite in New York covers a person and personal property such as livestock. If the victim of a dog bite doesn’t claim medical damages, they have to prove that the dog’s owner was negligent. If a dog has been previously declared dangerous and the owner allows the dog to still attack, the owner can face a misdemeanor charge or a fine of up to $3000. Also, note a severe injury is considered severe only if it causes death or risk of death. The statute of limitation for dog bites in New York state is three years though this can change, so always check your local law to make sure.
New York State, among others, practices no-fault car insurance and accident compensation laws. This means that when you get into an accident, you file a claim with your insurance first. But under exceptional cases, for example, an accident that results in severe or permanent injury, one can file a lawsuit against the other person’s insurance and, if need be, sue.
Workers Compensation law:
New York is one the only states that practices workers’ compensation. Though physical injuries are easily compensated, claims of mental damages are rarely compensated. New York State Law doesn’t require your job to keep your job open for most workers comp cases. But if FMLA applies to the case, then your employer must keep your job open for you.
Wrongful Death Laws in New York: under New York State Law, wrongful death of a person has to be caused due to negligence or could’ve been prevented. The statute of limitation to file a wrongful death lawsuit is two years.
Why do you need a Melville Personal Injury Lawyers?
There are many reasons why you might need a personal injury lawyer. But many times, a personal injury lawyer is meant to fight for proper compensation from their client. Here at Mandler Siegler, we can help you get the compensation you deserve. Our Melville personal injury lawyers cover cases from car accidents to animal attacks. We offer a free consultation to see if you have a legitimate case. Our Melville personal injury lawyers have years of experience that they can apply to your lawsuit. Contact us today.
What Are The Types of Personal Injury Cases?
At Mandler & Sieger, LLP, we help patients handle a wide variety of legal issues. One of our specialties is personal injury lawsuits. If you’re looking to file a personal injury claim, contacting a Melville personal injury lawyer should be your first priority. To learn more about the various kinds of personal injury cases, please continue reading below.
Types of Personal Injury Cases
Motor Vehicle Accidents
Motor vehicle accidents can be a traumatic and challenging experience. Also, motor vehicle accidents are prevalent personal injury cases that our Melville personal injury lawyers handle. When car accidents occur, it’s usually due to an individual failing to follow the road rules or driving recklessly. New York is a no-fault state where drivers must collect from their insurance providers unless their injuries surpass the serious injury threshold.
As the name implies, wrongful death describes a lawsuit that can arise when an individual has been killed due to someone else’s negligence. Wrongful death lawsuits mainly arise out of nursing home neglect, car accidents, medical malpractice, or the use of dangerous or defective products. A wrongful death suit allows for the recovery of unique damages that are generally not present when someone suffers non-fatal injuries.
When being treated by a healthcare professional, it’s only natural to expect that they are doing everything in their power to provide quality care. Unfortunately, some practitioners fail to do this. Medical malpractice claims can arise when a healthcare professional provides a treatment that fails to uphold the proper medical standard of care, and a patient becomes injured as a result. Getting undesirable results in a treatment setting does not necessarily count as malpractice. Proving negligence is crucial to any malpractice case. Our Melville personal injury lawyers will evaluate your case and help you determine if malpractice occurred.
Defective and Dangerous Products
Consumers are at risk for severe injuries from defective and dangerous products when companies fail to uphold the necessary safety measures. Dangerous products can include:
- Dangerous Toys
- Harmful Drugs and Pharmaceuticals
- Hazardous Chemicals
- Contaminated Food
- Defective Machinery and Tools
Our dedicated team will investigate your claim to determine if the product manufacturer adhered to their health and safety guidelines.
Slips, Trips, and Falls
Slips, trips, and falls are another type of prevalent personal injury lawsuits that can occur almost anywhere. An injury from a slip, trip, or fall can take you out of work and in need of medical care. Our experts will gather evidence to build a strong case for you and work with medical experts to help recover compensation.
In most dog bite suits, dog owners are held financially responsible for bites and other injuries caused by their dog. Laws on owner responsibility vary from state to state. In some cases, there are strict liability rules in place, making the dog owner responsible for dog bite injuries even if their dog has never shown aggression or tendency to bite in the past. Some states have one bite rules. Our Melville personal injury lawyers understand the pain and suffering that can result from a dog bite. We will investigate your case and help you recover maximum compensation.
If you are unsure if you have a solid personal injury case, our Melville personal injury lawyers are here to help. At Mandler & Sieger, LLP, our team has established a stellar reputation of professionalism with our clients, as well as insurance companies and their lawyers. Over the past 30 years, we have perfected our skills in personal injury cases, so you can be sure you are in the most qualified hands. If you’re interested in discussing the details of your case with our experienced attorneys, contact us for a free consultation.
Common Construction Site Injuries
Even the safest worksites have some risk of injury. If you have received any of the injuries listed below at a construction site, call the best Woodbury construction accident lawyers so we can help you with your case.
- Burns: If not handled properly, many factors make construction sites a considerable fire hazard. Exposed wiring and chemicals are a fire risk on the job site. With a chance of explosions prevalent, it’s no wonder that burns are one of the most common construction site injuries.
- Head Injuries: There’s a reason it is required to wear hard hats at build sites. Falling tools or materials can cause a lot of damage to the person working below. Concussions, traumatic brain injuries, can all be caused by falling objects.
- Spinal Cord Injuries: Spinal cord injuries often occur due to a fall off a ladder or scaffolding. Damage to the spine can cause paralysis and lifelong disabilities. These injuries cause an employee to stop working permanently. If that happens to you, call the best Woodbury construction accident lawyers to get the compensation you deserve!
- Cuts: Another one of the most common construction site injuries is cuts or lacerations. If ignored or not treated properly, these cuts can become infected. You should wear protective gear such as gloves to help reduce the risk of a cut.
- Broken Bones: A lot can go wrong when using heavy machinery. If not operated or secured correctly, heavy machinery can cause serious injury such as broken or crushed bones.
- Loss of Hearing: Loud noises are not a rare occurrence on a construction site. Building equipment and heavy machinery such as jackhammers make constant noise that can harm your hearing. Without earplugs to protect your ears, the noise can cause permanent hearing loss and lead to partial or total deafness.
- Repetitive Motion Injuries: Any movement you perform over and over again can damage your muscles. This type of injury is even more common in a construction setting due to the amount of repetitive movement needed and the weight of the tools and materials used.
- Heat Stroke: Unfortunately, the weather conditions aren’t always perfect for construction workers. They need to work even in the sweltering heat. Overexertion in the heat can cause heatstroke. Untreated heat stroke can lead to heart, brain, or kidney damage, and it can even be fatal.
Melville Personal Injury Lawyer
These construction site injuries can cause a worker to pay costly medical bills, take time off, or even force them to stop working altogether. With the best Woodbury construction accident lawyers on your side, you can receive compensation from your employer for any expenses gained due to your accident.
The last thing you need in your hectic daily life is a car accident. The aftermath of a car accident often leads to a complicated legal process. Our Melville personal injury lawyers at Mandler & Sieger, LLP have provided quality legal representation since 1990. A car accident can feel like a nightmare, but you don’t have to go through it alone.
New York is a No-Fault State
New York is a no-fault state, and in no-fault states, you can seek compensation for your car accident by filing a first-party claim with your insurance company. Under these rules, you can’t pursue compensation by filing a third-party claim. You will need to rely on your own insurance coverage to recover financial losses up to your policy’s limit. You can only step outside the state’s no-fault system under certain circumstances. In order to go past a no-fault claim and bring your claim directly against the at-fault party, your injuries will need to surpass the serious injury threshold. The conditions in this category include:
- Loss of organ or bodily function
Finding the at-fault party after an accident is crucial because they will be responsible for paying the resulting damages. When a driver fails to follow the rules of the road, determining negligence is relatively straightforward. In some cases, determining fault can be unclear. If you have concerns about your claim, it’s best to consult with a Melville personal injury lawyers for help. Law enforcement, insurance companies, and the courts will use evidence from the accident to determine the at-fault party. Some of the things these entities will consider include:
- Damage to the cars.
- Statements from each driver.
- Police reports.
- Photographs of the accident.
- Medical records.
- Weather and road conditions.
- Witness statements.
Contact Our Melville Personal Injury Lawyers
The process of a car accident lawsuit can be highly complex, so it’s crucial to work with dedicated Melville personal injury lawyers to yield the best results. At Mandler & Sieger, LLP, our experienced and compassionate attorneys will assess your case to guide you towards a favorable outcome. To learn more about your legal options or to schedule a consultation, contact our office today!